With technological advancement, the text and beautification images can also be part of silkscreen artwork design. However, the pitfall is that you may overlook the fundamental purpose of the design and may make the information unreadable easily.
During the manufacturing process of PCB, silkscreen is marking ink used to identify components during later assembly and troubleshooting processes. This can be placed on one or two sides (in yellow or white), depending on the board design and application.
The silkscreen layer is the top layer of the PCB and serves as a reference indicator for placing components on the PCB. Screen printing is used to specify useful information on the PCB board, which can help users during the assembly. It is used to mark component values, part numbers, test points, polarity, etc.
What are the specifications of silkscreen on PCB?
A silkscreen may not have any role in the functioning of a PCB; however, it is valued for the information that it delivers. For instance, it will help anyone to:
- Understand the warning symbols
- Polarity of parts
- Identify the test points
- Locate the parts through reference designators
- Identify the numbers that are unique to the printed circuit board.
- Identify manufacturer marks, version numbers, and so on
What is the importance of silkscreen on PCB?
Though the Silkscreen has nothing to do with the functionality of the Printed Circuit Board, the PCB Silkscreen provides information on
· Warning Symbols – The warning symbols indicate the parameters on the high voltage points that you need to avoid or handle.
· Polarity Indicators – It helps you to trace the polarized component’s orientation.
· Locating the parts via reference designators
· It helps in identifying the test points and unique numbers for each board.
· Reference indicators – It helps in identifying the component types via BOM. The Pin 1 indicator helps you to connect the pins to the suitable pads in the footprint. The leading pattern of the component outline would show the placement of a component. The polarity indicators provide you with the polarized component’s orientation
· Pin 1 indicator – It indicates the connection of pins on the correct pads of the footprints.
· Component Online – It enables you to place the components on PCB through indications.
The Component Online wouldn’t be essential for simpler components having a smaller number of pads. However, you would need them for general placement. But you can’t miss out on indicators, Pin 1, Polarity indicators.