In a multilayer MCPCB, the layers will be evenly distributed on each side of the metal core. For instance, in a 12-layer board, the metal core will be at the center with 6 layers on the top and 6 layers at the bottom.
The basic structure of MCPCB comprises of the following:
- Solder mask
- Circuit layer
- Copper layer – 1oz. to 6oz. (most commonly used 1oz. to 2oz.)
- Dielectric layer
- Metal core layer – heat sink or heat spreader
What are the main types of metal core PCB?
Aluminum substrate – The aluminum printed circuit boards offer good heat dissipation and heat transferring ability. Since they are light in weight, the aluminum core PCBs find their purpose in LED lighting, audio frequency apparatus, and communication electronic equipment.
Here, the thickness of the core ranges between 40 mils and 120 mils, with 40 mils and 60 mils being the most commonly used. Characteristics of the MCPCB with Aluminum substrate are as given below:
- Aluminum thickness: 2mm to 8mm
- Thermal conductivity: 5W/(mK) to 2.0W/(mK) (Watts per meter Kelvin)
- Peeling strength: >9lb/in
- Solder resistance: SF: 288℃, >180 sec.
- Breakdown voltage: >3000V
- Dielectric loss angle: 0.03
- Flammability: UL 94V-0
- Panel size: 18” x 24”
What are the applications of metal core PCB?
Metal core PCBs are quite useful in some specific applications, which usually generates a ton of heat in its process.
As we mentioned earlier, metal core PCBs are ideal for dissipating heat that builds up during operation. That’s why most manufacturers make use of it to maintain the solid performance of their devices. They also come in handy if you run a lot of long operational processes.
So, the major applications of the metal core PCBs are:
- Ideal for electronic communication equipment like electrical telegraphy, filter circuits, and frequency amplifiers.
- It’s a perfect fit for audio equipment like balanced amplifiers, input & output amplifiers, preamplifiers, power amplifiers, audio amplifiers, and many others.
- Power supply equipment like DC/AC converters, SW adjusters, switch regulators, and many others.
- Used for Computers and Computing components like CPU motherboards and power supply devices.
- Energy-saving lamps and lanterns, LED lamps.
- Power devices like converters, solid relays, bridges, rectifiers, and many more.
- Automation devices found in offices like motor drives.
If you are going to learn more PCB professional knowledge or want to order PCB products, please click our homepage or instant quote to custom our products.